As the seasons pass year to year, time does nothing to help the windows in your home. In fact, it can be said that time is the enemy of buildings and home windows. The question then becomes, how often should you replace your windows?
Even living in St. Louis away from coastal winds as some other cities experience on the East or West coast, windows still have a finite life span. When your windows get old or broken, it’s time to figure out what you want to do. Do you want to repair them or replace them?
Read on to learn in the informational guide below all about the signs to look for when you need to replace the windows in your St. Louis home. Also, you’ll learn about the benefits of replacing your windows or in implementing home maintenance strategies that provide longevity for your windows.
How Often Should You Replace Your Windows?
Changing your windows in St. Louis adds nothing but value to your home. Real estate research in St. Louis states that new windows and doors will return 71% to 78% of the project cost when you sell your home. As a property owner of a home or commercial building, your responsibilities are vast and you’re always looking for ways to increase the value of your properties.
If you decide to make these changes to your home, it’s because you’re a homeowner who wants their home to be more attractive and comfortable. Many homeowners hesitate before deciding to replace their windows because they’re worried about the cost or wondering if there’s any real benefit to doing it. The real estate rule of thumb is if you install or have high-quality and well-maintained windows, they can last twenty years or more.
St. Louis doesn’t get the damaging coastal winds sometimes received by other major U.S. cities, so if you keep your windows properly maintained the twenty-plus years is a good estimation. But twenty or more years only applies if your windows are new, properly installed, well-maintained and of high-quality.
What Are the Signs That Your Windows Need Replaced?
While your windows can’t tell you they are old and pretty useless, there are signs you can look for that will sometimes scream at you that your windows need to be replaced. Some of these signs are:
- Your windows are broken and don’t open and won’t stay open. Your windows are damaged because you can feel the wind come in through the panes on the window. You may start to notice your windows fog up or stick every time you open or close them.
- Windy drafts keep seeping into your home through window panes, so you’re noticing energy bills that are significantly impacted by the cold or hot air creeping in depending on the season.
- Your entire home needs a makeover with some rotting wood, uneven floors, or spotty siding but the windows are noticeably in need of a makeover. Many times you’ll notice warping wood around the window panes or color fading on the wood surrounding the window.
- Your home may have survived a natural weather event like a tornado but your windows took some direct hits from falling branches, high winds, and peeling off of paint around the windows. Any weather event can damage windows and if that happens, you want to have the best windows possible for the safety of you and your family.
If you have double-pane glass in your windows, and you start noticing condensation forming between your window panes, the seal has broken and moisture has gotten in between the panes. Your double panes are now no more efficient than your old single-pane windows and it’s a clear sign you need to get them replaced.
Benefits to Replacing Your Windows
The benefits of replacing your windows in St. Louis start immediately upon their replacement. That’s because from the very first day you replace your windows, you start enjoying the benefits. Some of the benefits are:
- Your new windows boost the resale value of your home and make your home look more attractive with enhanced curb appeal.
- Cleaning new replacement windows is a breeze because most now have a tilt-in feature. You can tilt your windows to wash the interior and exterior that adds to your comfort while cleaning. It also adds to your windows twenty-year life span because you’re providing ongoing maintenance and care.
- The new windows are safer for you and your family in high winds like tornadoes or break-ins by burglars and a host of other events. Most new windows have double locks and interlocks with double strength glass.
- The energy efficiency provided by new windows has unlimited value in both heating and cooling your home.
- Most new windows offer maintenance-free features like no painting. You can also depend on new windows today having built-in noise control features so any loud, outside commotion doesn’t hurt your ears on a calm, quiet day.
New windows offer so much through their enhanced features such as you seeing the blue of the sky or the green of the grass a little better. That’s because you’re not trying to see those things through a foggy window or a window that stayed dirty on the exterior side due to difficulty in cleaning it.
What Should Be Your Next Step?
All windows aren’t created equal. How often should you replace your windows can sometimes be determined by how much time you think you have left with your old windows. You know by replacing your windows with new ones, you have another couple of decades before you need to replace them again.
But if you decide to keep the windows you have, you still need to keep them maintained and at the highest level of functioning as possible. In St. Louis, it doesn’t matter if you’re replacing or providing new windows, there’s only one stop or one call you need to make. Penny Window offers sixty years of experience providing exceptional windows, doors, and sidings to homes and buildings in St. Louis.
Reach out to an esteemed local and family-owned Penny Window. Reach out to Penny Window when you need your windows repaired or replaced. You want high-quality, top of the line products at the most reasonable and discounted price.
Don’t go another night listening to the wind howl through your window or lose another day without the energy efficiency you and your family deserve.
Do you need to get a window repaired? Then get a free estimate from us now!
Download our free Ebook to get expert tips on how to shop for the perfect doors and windows!