Learn How to Clean Window Screens Effectively
One project to improve the look and feel of your home. No one likes to make their to-do list any longer than it has to be. But if you’re not making it a point to clean your window screens, your house suffers as a result. Dirty screens make your whole house look weathered and worn down. And as the breeze passes over the soiled screens and through your windows, it carries dirty air into your home.
Put an end to this problem by following these simple steps outlining how to clean window screens:
- Remove the Screens: It is possible to clean window screens while they are still attached in place, but you run the risk of damaging the screen itself. Start your project by removing all of them.
- Make a Solution: Mix 3 parts warm water to 1 part household ammonia together in a large bucket. Ammonia can be harsh on the skin, so make sure you have a pair of rubber gloves on hand.
- Prepare the Area: Lay down a large tarp or drop cloth so that your clean screens don’t pick up dirt, dust, and debris from the ground.
- Spray the Screen: Lay the screens out on the tarp one at a time, and hose them down. Set your hose to a low-pressure setting, and use a slow, steady back and forth motion. Repeat this process on both sides.
- Scrub the Screen: Dip a scrub brush into the cleaning solution and scrub each screen. Start in the top left corner, and work your way across and down systematically. Rinse the brush regularly so that you don’t rub dirt back into the screen.
- Rinse Again: Once the screen is scrubbed, rinse it down with the hose once more on both sides.
- Inspect Your Work: Carefully inspect each screen for any dirty patches that you may have missed. Keep your eye out, too, for areas of the screen that are damaged or worn down.
- Dry the Screen: Pick each screen up, and lightly tap it on the ground to remove excess water. Then wipe the screen down with a clean cloth and set it upright to air dry This will help keep the screen clean when you put it back in place.
Maintain Your Home with Penny Window
Notice how much better your home looks one it has clean window screens. That highlights how much the look and quality of your windows can impact the overall look of your home. If you noticed that your windows and screens are old and aged, it is probably time to consider a replacement.
Rely on Penny Window to help you find the right replacement windows for your home and budget, and to handle every step of the installation. Request a free estimate today, and discover how easy and affordable it can be to enhance your whole home.